I think we can all agree that the month of December is hands-down one of the craziest months of the year! For a lot of companies December signifies a fiscal year end so there usually are a bunch of deadlines to meet, not to mention company and department holiday parties to plan and attend! On the personal front we have family get-togethers, holiday shopping and wrapping, trees to trim and cookies to bake! So really from all perspectives – personal and professional – this time of year is enough to make a person mental! It really is difficult not to get caught up in all the hustle and bustle and just enjoy the true reason for the season!
Anyways what I am getting at here is that there is enough to worry and stress about, especially the closer we get to the Holidays! That being said we have rounded up some “must-have” items that will make creating that perfect holiday look, EFFORTLESS!
1) The LBD (“Little Black Dress”): The LBD is a central piece and the starting point of so many great looks. The LBD is a staple to any and all wardrobes because of its versatility! It can be dressed up or down based on how you accessorize: pumps or flats, simple or statement jewellery, tights or bare legged, blazer or sans… you see where I am going here.
2) Spanx: Any time form fitting clothing and a big meal intersect I invite along my BFF “Spanx”. First and foremost, spanx are for you! If you don’t believe in them, then sister you do you! I don’t wear them to make me appear “skinnier”, I just love what they do to a silhouette! They help smooth out panty/nylon lines and really just emphasize our curves and all of this just makes me feel more confident! And ladies what is the most beautiful thing a women can wear? …CONFIDENCE! (this extra bump in confidence may come in handy at holiday parties where you attend as a guest and don’t really know anyone. 😉 These situations are always tough but if you look and feel you’re best… that is what you will portray).
3) A Well Fitted Formal Jacket or Blazer: Layers are necessary, especially this time of year. A nice blazer is a great way to take an outfit from a formal office setting straight to a party, simply by removing it. Being able to go from day to night with only a few minor tweaks can save you loads of time without compromising the final product! (what’s not to love?!) A more formal looking jacket is also a necessity as it really completes your overall look. Showing up to a formal event, in a casual jacket, over a gorgeous outfit is bad news… you must complete the look! You don’t need anything super fancy or detailed… a standard black peacoat or trench will provide you with years of wear and so much versatility!
4) Cute & Comfy Pumps or Flats: This is another great opportunity for you to dress your outfit up or down. Obviously a flirty pair of pumps can elevate your look, while I cute pair of flats can complete a more casual look. If you are wearing a pair of heels I would always suggest adding an insole so that your night won’t get cut short by sore feet!
5) Clutch: You will need a place to store your coat check tag, your lipstick + liner and maybe some cash to cab home after too many sauvignons. This may be one of the few instances where it might not be what’s on the inside that is most important… sure you need all those things but a clutch can also be a great statement piece as well… so have fun with it! Use this opportunity to incorporate sequins, feathers and/or fur! (NOTE: if anyone has one that has all 3 materials please send a picture and purchasing details because I NEED IT!).
6) Statement Jewellery: The easiest way to instantly bring your look to the next level is by accessorizing! A Statement piece, whether it’s a chunky necklace, blinged-out bracelet or oversized earrings, can make a fun statement… AND could even be a conversation starter! Our only advice would be to choose one or maybe two pieces depending on your outfit and the event, you don’t want to go overboard. Remember less is sometimes more! 😉
7) Sequins, Feathers & Fur: This time of year sequins, feathers and fur make perfect accessories to any look! Whether it’s a pair of sequinned tights like Katie’s below, or a faux fur pelt as seen on Kristin your possibilities are endless! However you choose to incorporate them into your look they will be sure to add some serious personality and flair!
8) Manicure: Chipped polish does nothing for your overall look and with the general craziness of the season who has time to paint their nails every couple of days?! I sure don’t! And the worst part is generally nails are an afterthought… you may forget to paint them or chip a nail en route to a party and this could be a major confidence shatterer! This time of year especially, we would recommend getting a shellac manicure! They can last up to three weeks, won’t chip and won’t let you don’t like standard polish does. Well worth the $50 if you ask me! Be sure to opt for a neutral hue that’s versatile so it will easily complement all you’re looks.
9) Red Lip Stick & Liner: Something about a red lip… va-va-voom! A red lip can really add a sultry element to your look and take your glam to the next level. Reds can be tricky though, especially if you will be eating and drinking. You will need a long-wear or a lip-stain to ensure no smudging or smearing… this way you can eat and drink and enjoy! Just be sure to excuse yourself ever so often to check and reapply. Additionally when it comes to reds I would suggest investing in a lip liner as well, this ensures a clearer application and helps to minimize colour bleeding. (…sometimes I overline my lips a little too shhhhh 😉 )
10) Gum, Mouthwash & Floss: This may seem like overkill but I always ensure to put at least two of the three in my clutch before a night out. Between the eating, drinking and socializing you want your pearly whites smelling and looking fresh! If you are going straight from the office to a festive gathering and don’t have the time or a place to do a quick brush, this is the next best thing! Also be sure to do a “teeth check” after sampling all the available hor d’oeuvres! The worst is when you’re chatting up the crowd with a little friend in your grill.
We hope this Style Guide gives you one less thing to worry about so you can attend all of your holiday parties looking and feeling your best! Just be sure to add your own personal swag so that your look is truly authentic to you! Feel free to tag us in your holiday looks, we would love to see what you put together! Now let’s all eat and drink and be MERRY!
Sincerely your friends,
Katie & Kristin