About three weeks back we kicked off “Must-Have Monday” on the Blog. Our very first post: Must-Have Monday: Katie’s Beauty Products featured Katie’s Top 5 beauty products which she just can’t live without! We definitely will be featuring more “must-haves” going forward but since we live in a world that is constantly ‘wanting’ we thought we’d slow it down a bit. We don’t want to bombard you week-after-week with ‘must haves’ but instead just give you a heads-up when we come across something that is like really, really good!
If you’re anything like me I get a bit overwhelmed with all of the beauty marketing focused on us women. Katie and I both agree that when it comes to beauty products it is hard to separate good and quality products from the hype. Because there are so many brands out there promising this, that, and the other thing we hoped that by sharing our favourites we could possibly save you some time, stress and money. Additionally, we would LOVE IT if you shared some of your favs with us as well… seeing as this friendship is a two-way street! 😉
So without further ado, here are my Top 5 Beauty Products that I use every day and that I cannot live without. I will preface this list with the fact that I am no beauty expert, no makeup connoisseur and that I prefer low-maintenance go-tos that ‘get the job done’. I have way more important things to do, wine to drink and pizza to eat then to be spending hours getting ready! On that note, here goes:
1. Coconut Oil: Girlfriend, just like Franks, I put that sh*t on everything! If you do not currently use coconut oil in your beauty routine, you are missing out! Honestly coco oil is so versatile, and considering all of its uses and benefits it is super inexpensive. Things that I use coconut oil for include:
– Hair Mask: Run through wet hair post-shower, avoid roots as it will make them greasy. You can rinse out OR leave in… as a blonde my hair is generally on the drier side so I leave it in!
– Moisturizer: I use coconut oil as a full body moisturizer. I even put it on my face! Sure it is a little ‘greasy’ but the key is to keep rubbing it in and to be honest, you get used to it… and it smells so good!
– Make-up Remover: Rub some on your face and remove with a make-up pad… simple as that!
– Cooking: A little unrelated but coconut oil is a healthy alternative to other oils! It is great for baking because of its natural sweetness!
There are so many health benefits associated with coconut oil, whether you’re consuming it our using it in lieu of chemical-packed beauty products… do some Google searches, trust me, you won’t be sorry! (The only thing I would stress is that when buying your coconut oil, look for these key words: ‘virgin, organic, raw, cold-pressed’ – basically you want an unrefined oil which is clean and free from chemicals!)
2. & 3. NYX Wonder Stick + Beauty Blender: I don’t love wearing lots of thick/cakey foundation, not to mention I have sensitive skin and heavy concealers make me breakout like a teenager… STILL! The NYX Wonder Stick gives me light coverage allowing me to highlight areas that need a little ‘brightening’ and covers minor blemishes and redness. Now, don’t be intimidated by the word ‘contour’. I do what I call a ‘lazy contour’ which took me a little time to perfect but it definitely gets the job done. One great thing about this product is it does come with some instructions… they tell you where to highlight and where to contour. Also, there are a million YouTube videos out there… honestly watch 2 or 3 and you will get the hang of it! Anyways, draw on your highlight, add in your contour and then blend, blend, blend! (BTW, My Beauty Blender is from Sephora!)
4. & 5. ANASTASIA Beverly Hills Perfect Brow Pencil + Clear Brow Gel: OK, I wish someone would have stressed the importance of eye brows while I was growing up… “Brows on Fleek” who could have guessed this would be a thing?! Luckily, I wasn’t too much of an over-plucker in my teens (thanks to my mother, who herself was an over-plucker and was determined to save me from a similar fate), but if you were no need to fret because there are a number of brow fillers in a variety of different mediums. Personally I like the pencil because it is easy, it’s dual-ended and it lasts FOREVER! The one end is a mini brush that you use to brush any foundation/makeup out of your brows and also to get them into place before you start filling them in. I also give mine a bit of a brush after I fill them in as I find it helps to blend them. The other side is obviously the actual brow pencil, which I use very lightly to fill in any thin spots in my eye brows. I also use it to define the shape a bit better. The Clear Brow Gel basically holds them in place and helps to avoid any smudging. You apply this after you have finished filling your brows… it helps to keep them on fleek! If you are looking to up your brow game I would definitely check out ANASTASIA, they have an array of beauty products but I would say they definitely specialize in brows! Another thing I love about them is they have many colours which makes matching your natural brow colour easy (ladies this bit is ESSENTIAL! You want a filler that is close to your natural brow colour. If you’re having difficulty finding one, ask one of the beauty experts!).
So there is a little peak into my daily beauty routine. I use the above mentioned, throw on some mascara, grab a coffee and then seize the day! What beauty products are crucial to your routine? Email us, tag us, or comment below!
Sincerely your friends,
Katie & Kristin